My Thoughts and Review On Drake's Album Scorpion

Drake’s Highly Anticipated “Scorpion” Album

Scorpion: any of numerous arachnids of the order Scorpionida, widely distributed in warmer parts of the world, having a long, narrow, segmented tail that terminates in a venomous sting. Drake has released his 5th studio album and it has hit his fan base with a venomous sting indeed. From rumors of Aubrey Graham hiding his son from the world to the great rap and r&b artist that we fell in love with. This album has two sides, the first side is mainly rap and the second side is focused on his R&B. Many critics believe that Drake should stick to the R&B aspect of his career, but I say if he can do both then why not let him? If anything, the talent that Drake brings to the table will produce much more great music for us to listen to and enjoy.

I have been a Drake fan for a long time now and I feel as if I had to listen to this new album all the way through. I have rated my top three favorite songs from Side A and my top three favorite songs from Side B. The order is listed below

Side A Top 3                          Side B Top 3


1.     Talk Up ft. JAY Z             1. After Dark

2.     8 out of 10                         2.  Nice For What

3.     Is There More                    3. Don’t Matter To Me

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel as if this album had a lot of filler songs. Filler Songs meaning that he’s had them pre-recorded and just felt like they could fill space to make the album longer. I feel like he wanted to drop this album during the Summer season so he could get more streams and sales.

He recently did a Fortnite stream with pro player Ninja who averages 140,000 + viewers every time he goes live via Twitch. His fan base, streams, and sales could’ve raised through that experience since people want good music to listen to during the Summer and while playing the popular Fortnite game. Was this a good business tactic by Drake? Using Ninja to get more streams and sales? Yes. I feel as if this will play a key role for many upcoming Rap and R&B artists. If anything, these new artists could learn from the veteran Drake.

Enough of that rant….


Overall, I score this album at a 6.2/10. Mainly because of the amount of filler songs and lyrical content that sound repetitive in the rap genre. 


Comments